Friday, December 26, 2008

Gift tags


I was at my mom's house the other day. She was complaining about a party that she had to go to. The object of the party was to gather together and make little gift tags for Christmas presents. My mom was dreading it but felt obligated to go. It sounded like fun to me, though. A couple days later I saw her again and she had two little gift tags on display, hanging from her kitchen cabinet. One had a little snowman and the other had a little santa made of small pieces of paper glued onto a blue square. I expressed my delight at her handiwork, but she only groaned.

"You should've been there," she said. "You would have loved it. I am not suited to this sort of thing, though. I was there for two hours and managed to eek out these two little cards, while everyone else made twenty or more."

"At least they are cute," I said.

They were so cute, I decided I wanted to design my own gift tags. After some deliberation, I decided to make tiny little snowflakes and glue them onto blue squares. I used tracing paper for the snowflakes because it folds more tightly than printing paper. It took me a while to do all the cutting but they turned out really cute. It was really interesting to see how each one turned out differently, even though I basically used the same procedure and pattern for each one. I guess my little tiny triangles are never exactly the same.

I had expressed my intentions to justacoolcat when I was preparing to make the snowflakes, but he was surprised to see how they turned out. "When you said you were going to make tiny little snowflakes, I thought you meant really tiny. I wondered how you were going to do it. Is she going to do some ninja action on those snowflakes. Oooaaah!" He said as he made a ninja cutting action. Needless to say, a simple scissors sufficed.




2 comments:

fineartist said...

I love your little snowflake gift cards, and I think they are so much more personal and special, they just reek of quality, wait, they speak of quality, reek just doesn't really work here. I kind of do some of that with my Christmas wrapping, I use the brown paper that you can buy at Wal-mart for sending packages in the mail and then I tie them with beautiful lace or satin bows and make a printing plate that reminds me of Christmas, notice I said reminds ME of Christmas, so sometimes I even use the Venus of Willendorf for my print, put glue on the printing plate and press it to the paper wrapping once the package has been wrapped and then cover it in diamond dust glitter. The wrap is cheap but looks really cool, like care has been put into each package, then my kids tear into the package and all of that art is ripped to shreds.

I'm glad you are blogging again girl, I need to get my blog groove back too soon. hug a roonies, Lori

Rain said...

They are pretty. Maybe you should get a head start on next year. I think your husband just likes the word Ninja ;)