Monday, January 29, 2007

Cookie frenzy


I had been craving chocolate chip cookies for over a week. When I crave chocolate chip cookies, what I really want is to make them myself. No store-bought cookie will do. Even if somebody else made them home-made, it still wouldn't quite satiate the need. I love making cookies. I usually do it on an afternoon when I have the house to myself and no pressing needs to attend to. I clean the kitchen completely first, then I lay out all my ingredients. I have known the recipe by heart since I was about eleven years old. Back then my older sisters' friends used to sing my cookie praises as they scraped down my hard-earned treats. I make sure to taste the batter at every stage: first the butter/sugar mixture, then add the eggs and vanilla, then the flower mixture, and last the delightful chocolate chips. I have no qualms about salmonella poisoning. I haven't caught it yet, have I? The mixture is divine in every phase. Sometimes I have to test it a few times, just to make sure it's quite right.

I'm never very hungry for the actual cookies when they are done. I'm too full. I send half the batch to work with justacoolcat and freeze the other half for my own personal enjoyment later. If I'm careful, I can make the freezer batch last a whole week or more. What is it about chocolate chip cookies I love so much? The chocolate? The butter? The sugar? I think that those are all factors, but I think that what I really like about them is that to me they symbolize productive solitude, accomplishment, and pride. They make the perfect comfort food when I am down and they are the perfect celebration when celebration is needed. I really do make a damn good cookie, and nobody knows it better than me.

7 comments:

Ticharu said...

That was eloquent... bravo!!!

I had a longer comment originally but Blogger ate it...

Wifey said...

Thank you, and I'm sure that Blogger enjoyed the meal.

justacoolcat said...

"I make sure to taste the batter at every stage:"

Quality control I'm sure.

Wifey said...

Yes...quality control. That's exactly what I intended. And when I licked the bowl, that was just to prevent waste.

fineartist said...

Heeeeeeeee, wifey you are as funny as that man of yours!

You two make a kick axe pair of cookie makers, for sure.

Now I'm jonsing for me some chocolate chip cookies too.

Wifey said...

I should never have made those cookies. I got myself addicted to chocolate again. Today I had a hot cocoa made out of melted icecream and justa's old mocca. It was decadent.

ginger b said...

I think you're my new personal hero.

Not only are you BAKING from memory, you have the self-discipline NOT to eat every cookie + the cookie sheet right after it comes out of the oven.

I'm in awe of you, ma'dam...