Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Sex and Death

I finished Love in the Time of Cholera this morning. The ending was silly, but at least it wasn't sad. It was a pretty good book. To me, it was almost more of an essay on love, life, and death with the help of a few interesting characters than a novel, but I guess that's what the best novels are all really about. My mom's an English teacher, and she used to always say, "Sex and death. That's what it all boils down to in the end. Those are the underlying themes in all literature because they are the two driving forces of human life." I've never been able to disprove her. Anyway, it's a good book, and I'd recommend reading it this time of year so that you can transport yourself to a warmer climate. Ahhh, the Caribbean.

I'm on vacation this week and now that I've finished my book I have to think of something to do with myself. I'm thinking that today will be a productive cleaning day. I'll take care of some things that I have been putting off because I didn't have the time, and maybe I'll wrap it up with a little scrapbooking at the end. By tomorrow, though, I'll need a new book. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

fineartist said...

Oh hon, have you read Women who Run With The Wolves, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D.?

It's one of my favorite books, and it's extremely empowering to women.

Your mom was an English teacher? That's pretty cool. It's funny, my daughter Anny thought about teaching music or English for a while, and I think I talked her out of it. More likely she saw me come home one too many times all frazzled and freaked out looking in the want adds for other employment opportunities....I do that on Fridays, but by Monday I'm usually ready to teach again.

xx, Lori

Wifey said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. I usually shy away from short stories. I like a book to grab my attention and hold me from front page to back. I'm always disappointed at the end of a short story...so what happens next? But I do love fairy tales and folk lore. Have you ever read "Tatterhood and Other Tales" by Ethel Johnston Phelps and Pamela Baldwin Ford? It's a collection of folk tales from around the world about strong women. One of my favorites.

I am born of a family of teachers. Grandparents, mother, sister, brother-in-law, aunts. Even my sisters who are in non-teaching professions end up teaching within their profession. We're born to it.

fineartist said...

I will definitely have to check out that book, it sounds like one I would love and treasure.

A family of teachers, that is so cool sweetie.

xx, Lori

gina said...

i just blogged about a good book- the julia/julia project.... i can media mail it to you......... its cute.

Malnurtured Snay said...

Hey, awesome - enjoy your vacation!

Ticharu said...

Read Suttree by Cormac McCarthy!

Wifey said...

Gina -- I've heard of that book before...maybe on a cooking channel? It looks good. And I LOVE Julia Childs.

Mal -- Sadly, we have to wait until April. Spring break is so late in St. Paul.

Ticharu -- Sounds good. I'll have to add it to my list. Thanks.