Friday, December 29, 2006

Michael's Madness


I went to Michael's, the Arts and Crafts Store last night with a one hundred dollar gift certificate burning in my pocket. I was totally giddy. I had a long list of tools for drawing, painting and scrapbook that have been on my wish list for a long time. Of course, when I got there I realized that my one hundred dollars wouldn't go very far. Art supplies are so expensive! I ended up eliminating all the painting items from my wish list and only getting scrapbook stuff. My key purchases were a paper cutter, paper with new colors and designs, and a brand new scrapbook. I also got some cool paper scraps for making cards, wide page covers to replace the ones that make my pages bend, and some pretty stickers.

When I got home I showed off all my new toys to my husband, who was mildly amused, and then ripped open all the packaging and organized everything into neat piles. I spent the rest of the evening replacing the page covers of my wedding scrapbook, which looks much better now. I had wanted to start my thank-you cards, but I didn't get around to it before bedtime.

So thank-you cards were my project for today. I got to go home early (yay!), so I spent the afternoon making these cards.

Making cards for people is kind of a silly thing to do, because I know that most of them will end up in the trash. But at least the person I give it to knows, for the short moment they hold the card in their hands, that I was thinking about them and cared enough to spend the time to make them a card. At least, that's what I hope they think. Plus, they are pretty and I enjoy making them. These pictures don't really do them justice. There's something about the texture, weight, and dimensions of the different papers that makes them really homey.

What do you think? Are they too simple? What do you use when you make cards?

4 comments:

fineartist said...

I love them, they're elegent.

I use home made paper sometimes to make cards or just heavy watercolor paper with a deckle edge like yours here.

I'm a nut for a nice deckle edge, oh boy, yeah.

My daughter makes all of her own cards too. I save every one of them, yes every one, and sometimes I take them all out just to look at them again from time to time. Of course I'm kind of odd.

Oh sweetie I linked to your blog, I hope you don't mind. xx, Lori

Wifey said...

I love home-made paper. It makes everything seem just a little bit fancier.

I'm so glad that you save your daughter's cards. It makes me feel appreciated (is that wierd?).

Thanks for linking me. I'll try not to disappoint you.

fineartist said...

Oh hon, no pressure, heh heh. Besides I adore your sense of humor...love love love what you put in Sassy's blog about the barbie doll men...heeeeeeee!

I'll try not to embarrass you, I am sort of an odd one, but I'm pretty harmless.

Wifey said...

Lori, you can't possibly embarrass me. I'm so happy that you have been reading my blog.